Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Kidz

Before I begin, let me just take a moment to wish one of my bestest friend Alvin a very big happy birthday. Hey dude, enjoy yaself today, exams are around the corner, so you'll probably be able to only enjoy today (and maybe on the 17th of this month because its Ash's birthday) and work hard for the rest of the month. Haha. Happy Birthday!!! And also congrats to Dennis for going to his first appointment with HDB today. I have no idea what does a first appointment mean, does he get his key today or is he signing the papers or is it just a normal meeting. Well what the heck, its gotta be something big cause he seems pretty happy, well congrats to him. Hope its not some April fool's joke that HDB is playing on him. Wahahahaha.

Okie back to today's topic on kids. Well not too long ago, It was just a few days back. I went for Qing ming with my family, and on the trip I met a few of my cousins. Well for those who know my family, well for my generation, its like differentiated into 2 different groups. I guess its this funny thing called age gap, the older kids (I'd like to think that I'm still a kid although I'm already 25) belong to 1 group and those below 16 seem to belong to another group of their own. To simplify things I'll split the people in my mum's side to the 2 groups.

Oldies: My bro, myself, Melyvn.
Youngsters: Tyrone (I have no idea if got the spelling correct), Jocelyn, Nicholas

These are the 2 basic groups around, of course you'll find that not everyone is included in the list. Well thats because there a number of others who just don't belong to any group. For example: Gerald (seem to be in a world of his own), the 3 from 4th uncle (who seem to be in their own worlds as well, but I guess their closer to the youngsters), not forgetting Qing Yang and Qing Long (I don't even know if I got their names correct), I don't even see them often, and of course Debbie, John, Ashley and Natalie who are constantly overseas thus not easy to put them in any group.

It seems that even though we are in the same generation, our thinkings differ a lot. Conflicting interest has resulted in us not having any common topics to talk about, so you can see easily that we are not as close. But thats not all, another thing that is bothering me is the way kids are being brought up nowadays. Maybe I'm just too old fashioned to say this, but I feel that kids that were brought up using the ways of my time (wah like I very old liao) tend to be more polite and courteous towards the older people. Like myself (Let me just say that I'm not trying to sell myself here ok, its just my observation), my group tend to listen to elders when they talk, and not rebut to everything that others say. Our actions just don't seem so rebellious. This is somewhat different from the kids nowadays. Now I'm seeing my younger cousins talk back to elders, hit their daddies while their dads are driving, arguing to almost everything that they don't see fit. In the early stages it may all seem like their pretty cute to talk that way, but as this continues, I just get pretty irritated because sometimes what I am trying to teach them is how they can progress in life. I'm not some life guru but I guess my existence in this planet thus far has rendered myself enough position to speak of some things about growing up. And really, I think something that is lacking in many of the kids nowadays is the ability to listen. Ideally children should learn to speak up, this will definitely be helpful to them in the future. But they should also master the art of listening. Sometimes it will do them good to just shut up and listen to what others have to say. It gets utmost annoying when you try hard to teach a value to someone and they don't listen. Well that being said, I am not the kids father, so in what position am I to teach them all these facts of life. Their mums and dads have even more experience than myself, so who am I to be doing all this. I just feel that as parents, they tend to love their children too much to scold them (what they call 爱的教育), they try to talk sense to them to make them understand. But seriously I don't believe in that, or maybe just to some extent. I still think that some form of caning and scolding is required in the upbringing of the child. If there is one thing I cannot stand, its children who don't behave and don't listen. I find that most parents nowadays pamper their kids too much, to the extent that they are overly protected from the realities of this world. I mean although child life is short-lived and as children they should be enjoying their childhood but whats the point of making them believe that they are princes and princesses living in castles, and whoever opposes them will have to beheaded. I think some values should be inculcated in them while they are still little. When they get a little older, it will be even more difficult to change the mindset that they have.

I guess I have to attribute my bitchiness to Imran, now I do get irritated sometimes when I find that things are not the way they are supposed to be. But what can I do when I encounter things like this. If I speak out it might strain my relationship with my relatives and I might just get my arteries choked and I'll be vomiting blood because these brats don't listen, if I don't speak up I just can't bear to see the young ones degrade themselves further (they are still my family).

Haiz, the sad truth about life, sometimes its just difficult to be Mr Nice Guy.

No comments: