Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Broken alarm

Recently I've noticed something, actually I've noticed this for some time but didn't thought I'll write on it. And that is on the alarm systems that most cars, homes and shopping centers have. Going back to basics, the purpose of these alarms is to alert the owner or the people in the surrounding about an emergency. But it seems that the alarm nowadays is losing its effect. Just earlier on, one of the car alarms at the carpark near my place went off, and it was like ringing forever, and no one seem to be bothered with it. Its like they think its just another spolit alarm. Then the last few times when I was a IKEA, the alarm also went off, but no one seem to bother at all. People were still shopping at the show rooms, others were continuing to eat at the cafe, and we just got on with our studies. All as if nothing has happened. I mean what if there was a real emergency! What if there was a fire or hostage or terrorist or bomb!!! The issue here is not whether the alarm was faulty, or whether it was an exercise to prepare us for the real thing, but the real issue here is that whenever we hear an alarm we somehow think that," aiya, its nothing lah, must be alarm spoil." or "aiya another exercise, one year have to do how many exercises, I got a lot of work to clear in office leh. Haiz, let me get my wallet first, later can go for lunch". There is no sense of urgency, and people are not taking the alarms seriously enough. In a case of a real fire, they can forget about having lunch, because they might just end up on the lunch menu themselves. So sometimes I wonder, is our sense of self defence weakening, are we taking the safety of our country for granted, is the whole total defence thingy actually working??? From the looks of it, we are lagging behind in terms of total defence, and we tend to take this safe environment for granted. Something as terrible as 911 can happen anytime, and I think something needs to be done to address this issue. Again I'm not preaching anything here, I keep to my stand that I am no pastor and saint, in fact I am also at fault to this problem, so let us all work towards a safer environment k. So anyone wanna go for lunch?

No comments: