Wednesday, April 15, 2009

F.A.M.I.L.Y

Family, thats the topic which I want to touch on today. I went over to my grandma's last night (was pretty late because I went out with my date for dinner and to get stuff for my bro at Queensway). I had promised to go over to get the food from my grandma, so I thought that I should make my way there though it was already 10.15pm. And when I was there, chatting with my grandma, I realise that my grandma is really feeling very lonely. She was telling me that since my aunt started working, the house is literally empty from morning till late at night (my aunt is also taking TCM classes at night). So there is no one for her to talk to, and that all she does is stare at empty space. She doesn't go out because her health is not at its best, and we are also a little worried to let her wonder around by herself. So many a times, she just feels that life is boring, and it might be better off dead.

I do feel pretty sad to hear this. All of us are now working, so we are unable to accompany her in the morning and afternoon. I can't be around everynight because I have Jap classes twice a week, and also some appointments every now and then. Although I wished I could be there for her more, but I only have 24 hrs and I can't split myself into 2. But what she says is also true, because she doesn't have much to do, and she can't go anywhere, if I'm her, I'd also feel like dying. Sometimes, we do neglect her, taking her for granted. We think that all we have to do is to keep her safe at home and visit her as and when we are too free and have nothing better to do. This is a really wrong concept. Although I want to accompany her, I know that I cannot achieve this alone, but no one else in the family seem to see this. Most of her grandchildren do not bother to go over to visit her, preferring to go out with friends and play games. Her own children are caught up with work, working their ass off to support the lavish lives of their children and to make ends meet, many a times working till super late at night, so they do not have the time to visit her. Too many of them think that as long as we think of her in our heart, she'll feel it, and will understand. But really, this is a very selfish way of thinking. I think its about time we pull up our socks and think of the person who has been there for us for the entire years of our lives, and not take her for granted. If there is one thing I've learnt, it is that if you love someone you must say it out (something I'm still working on). There is no point in keeping it in the heart and expect the other party to be able to 'feel it', because it doesn't happen that way. If you love them, say it out, use your actions to show the love. 默默的爱根本就不是爱,实际行动才是表达爱的最佳方式. Piety is not about waiting for the other party to lie on her death bed and offering joss sticks and incense. Piety is about now, its about the things you can do to make the other person happy now. Whatever you do or feel for the person in front of her tombstone is not going to bring time back. So do not wait till your loved ones are gone before you regret not spending more time with them. No matter how much tears you shed at the death bed cannot bring the person back to life. So I really urge my family to think twice about their committments, and allocate some time to their beloved mother/grandmother.

I'm thinking of starting a family circular to tell them what I think, but I don't know how should I start. But I think someone has to begin something, or this will never kick off. After my chat with my grandma I had qutie a lot of ideas, I wanted to issue an ultimatinum to my family to visit their mum, and to start a monthly gathering for the family. I hope I'll be able to have the courage to speak up and get this going, well wish me luck and give me courage. I have to save this family from losing certain important values that I think is slowly eroding away.

No comments: