Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Overseas in Singapore

Don't be mistaken, I'm not going oveseas. Morgan Stanley is definately not sending a temp staff overseas for any meetings what so ever. But working in Morgan is really very much like working oversea. Why? Because the group of colleagues sitting just behind me are the japanese correspondents. This means that they speak Jap all the time, in fact most of them are Jap to begin with. So throughout the day, I keep hearing them converse in Jap to their clients (probably from Japan). Then in another corner is little Hong Kong. The people there speak in cantonese over the phone to their clients.So there is this mix of languages going on in office, and this makes it seem a little like I'm overseas. It does bring back some memories of Shanghai, when I'm in office and the colleagues are speaking in Shanghaiese, and I can hardly understand a thing (it did get a little better towards the end, but still I'll give myself a 2/10 for my level of shanghaiese, haha). Erm, about my office, the job is pretty mundane (as Terrance had promised when I went for the interview), but there is a lot to do. A lot of checking and checking and checking. For the first 2 days, I really worked till I wanted to cry. Its not because the work is tough, or the stress level is super high, but its because I cannot understand how their system works. For a big company like Morgan, they have a pretty backward system. They are handling a lot of clients and there isn't a standard for tracking the client's information (I'm trying to be very vague here, I can't say too much about the exact details of what I'm doing). Every client/market has a very different way of data entry. So this makes it very difficult to retrive the data that you want. The job is actually very simple and can be done very fast. But its the searching that is taking up so much time. A lot of time I just can't find the data that I want, and this makes it very frustrating. I was so disappointed with myself. I kept thinking whether it was me that is plain stupid for not being able to grasp the system fast enough. But I really tried my best, I did as I was thought to find each of the information that I needed, but a lot of times, it just returns with a null result. Well at least today was a little better, managed to locate most of my information (guess I'm slowly getting it, I hope) with minimum help. There is still a lot to learn in Morgan, and I hope I can grasp each challenge fast enough and move on. I must admit that I do not want to be checking information all my life in Morgan, I have to move on to other things. Well I hope this is the beginning of greater things... hmmm, to infinity and beyond!

No comments: