Thursday, May 8, 2008

The last lap

Today, or should I say yesterday, I had my final presentation, and man it was hell. I got the person I really didn't want as my moderator, my worst nightmare, Prof Lim Kee Yong!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh... The moment he came in, I knew that I was going to have a hard time, and as expected, life wasn't easy in during the presentation. In fact I didn't really presented anything at all, it was an 1/2 hour Q&A session. He just kept shooting me with questions, its was rapid cross-fire. He came on and he said that he had already read through my entire report, and all that I was presenting was already in the report, so he didn't want to hear all that, what he wanted to know is how I substantiate my points, and what I write in the report. And he kept asking me about my figures,"why did you use 3? why not 5 or 10 or 1?", "why 65%, where did you get this magic number from?", "who said that it this number is reflective, it was you right? Now, what we want is not about what you think, its about what your research shows", questions like these were flying throughout the presentation, and I was drilled like hell. All that I prepared the day before was totally useless. Well I don't blame Prof Lim, its his job to drill me, and before hand I already know that he's the type of professor that really drills his students hard, so when I saw him come in, I already expected the worst. What I really hated was my own prof just sat there and smiled to himself and didn't even try to help me out a little. I mean at least try to put in a few good words for me lah, I'm not asking for much also, alamak. He just sat there and smiled and laugh to himself, as if he also knows that my fate would be such when I am faced with Prof Lim. Before the presentation I've already told a lot of people that I just hope that my moderator is not Prof Lim, Just don't give him to me, and tadah, it just had to be him. My friends that sat in for my presentation was terrified looking at my presentation (she the next to present, but to a different moderator), from what I heard, she was clutching my other friend's arm throughout my presentation, hahaha. Well one thing about my own prof, I must still commend him because a lot of things that the moderator asked for, my prof had also reminded me before. For example the survey, and the substantial part. So I must say that he did reminded me a lot but I still didn't include some of them in my report. Well I know that my report is not the most accurate, in fact there are many big flaws in it, but seriously it is not easy for me to come up something that is new in such a short time. Apparently they believe it is do-able. Although I have an entire year to do this project, but I still have my other modules to clear. I'm not saying that it totally cannot be done, but its not as simple. But Prof Lim did tell me that it was their job to drill my report and to drill me to answer questions. And after everything he came up to shake my hand and told me,"Congrats, you've graduated". That is a sigh to relief, hahaha. At least I know I got through already, hahaha. And not all about my report is bad, Prof Lim did mention some good things about my report, he said that my format is good, my referencing is good, and my command of english is good (surprise, surprise, never thought anyone would ever say that my english is good), but my literature review is not strong enough, that I am making too many personal assumptions, and the the case studies are too bias because I based it on a single user (which is myself). Well I still thank Prof Lim for his time today, and if you ever read this, I just want to say," you really gave me a hard time, hahaha". Haiz, never mind, its finally over, now onto the next phase of my life - unemployment. Now I'm officially unemployed, so anyone got any jobs offers for me?

No comments: