Saturday, March 21, 2009

Back from camp

Just finished my ICT today. It was a really difficult week, been exercising with the trainees for the entire week, with very little sleep. I was appointed one of the lead trainers for this camp, so I had to oversee the training program for the entire camp, making sure that everything is in place, from the training schedule to the food to the safety of the trainees, I'm involved in all of them. So I had to be practically present in all of their activities. And not to mention that I slept after 3 am for most of them days (because we went out for dinner, supper, jalan jalan, ktv, hahaha.... yes I know its my own fault for the late nights). So you see, it was a really really exhausting week. And I even had a to do a report on the camp every night, luckily there was another lead trainer who helped me with the report. Overall I had loads of fun in camp.

After the camp, I went home to sleep for a while before meeting Alvin, Dennis and Wee Hwa for dinner and movie at Bugis. Its been quite a while since I met them (excluding Alvin). The last time I saw Dennis was at his house warming, and I can't even remember when was the last time I saw Wee Hwa, so it was really nice to see them again. We had Ayam Paniak (I think its spelt like this) at this stall opposite Shaw towers. Its basically a form of malay chicken rice. The chicken was really crispy and the chili was good. Very spicy and very fragrant. But the serving was a little small. Could do with a little more rice (it looked like only 1/2 a bowl) and a few more pieces of chicken. The most interesting part of this stall is that it serves the chicken with some crispy flakes of I-don't-know-what on top. Whatever that was, it was really nice, haha. Chat a little before heading to the cinema to catch the movie 'Mall Cap'. The movie was nice, it wasn't great, but it was a easy movie to watch. Pretty funny at times (typical Adam Sandler type of move [I think its written/directed by him, I just know there some connection between him and the show]). I mean I didn't go to watch this movie expecting a great movie, so I was satisfied with some laughs in the show.


And before I forget, we were talking about reservist during dinner, and Alvin mention that he'd rather be in office than go for reservist. Dennis had no comments about it. So I thought I'd want to blog about this. Of course whatever I blog here are my own thoughts, some people (ormaybe many people) will have differing views on this issue. To me, I don't understand why people would not like reservist. Unless you are a boss of a company, or that you really have very important things to do everyday, then I have nothing much to say. But as an employee, don't you think reservist is a great way to release your work stress. I mean, one entire year of work, staring at computer screens and meeting clients, don't you think have a little time away from all that once in a while will do you good. Thats also the reason why people want to go for holidays right, to get away from work. I find reservist a very relaxing event, although I have to exercise a lot during reservist, but I really enjoy myself during the periods. I don't deny that due to the nature of my reservist, the flexibility might be a little more appealing, but in general I still think its a good getaway from your daily routine. As I mentioned, most of us are only employees, no matter how high a position you are holding, you are still just an employee, and let me just add that no one in this world in indispensible. The company will not collasp because one person. Of course since I say that no one is indispensible, so it means that the company can sack you while you are on reservist because you are not in office to work. But lets be realistic, if you are the boss of a company you will not sack your employee just because he is away for a week or two. The only reason that you'll be sacked is because you have not been performing in your work for quite some time. So don't put the blame on reservist. I'm not here to promote reservist, I'm not even in the civil service, but I just feel that some times reservist has been treated unjustly, and maybe some people should just go with a open mind and really enjoy the time off given to all Singaporean males. I seriously think that everyone needs some time away from the usual work life, from your office, even from your regular friends, relatives, colleagues, girlfriend, spouse and children. It gives us the opportunity to recharge ourselves, and I think this will help to improve our productivity and even strengthen our relationships. Why not give a thought about it.

No comments: