Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cycling trip

Today I went cycling around Singapore. Okay, I didn't really go all around SG, I cycled all the way from my place to Chinatown, to the festive market. I also made a stopover at Raffles Place to meet up with Hanson & Brian for a 'break', haha.

Well I was at Chinatown looking for a 'parking lot' for my bicycle, but I could not find any. I continued searching, and I got to the carpark beside the Tooth Relic Temple. On the other end of the carpark, I saw an old man trying to cross the street, but because his legs were weak so he could not walk across, he had his butt on the floor, using his arms and feet to inch his way across. He had almost reached the other side and was just in front of a white van. I was looking at the van, because I felt that something was going to happen. I just had the very bad feeling inside me. I saw the 2 people in the van, as if they were about to move off, but the driver seem to have saw the old man, and was waiting for him to get across before leaving. Then he started his engine, but still he did not move, so I thought he was still waiting for the old man to finish crossing the road. Then suddenly he started to move his van, and everyone, including myself, started shouting at the driver to stop the van. But it was too late, the van had already cover more than half the man. Only the head of the guy was still out of the front of the van. We immediately ran over to try to lift the van, and get the man out, but it was too heavy. So we tried to only lift the portion that was on the man, and get the driver to reverse the van. Only then were we able to get the man out. And the man was immediately driven to the hospital for a checkup. Can you imagine what would have happened if the van just went over the poor guy. He'll just be flattened, totally. Luckily not serious happened, but it was the first big scare for 2009. Hopefully this year will be much better than the previous, with everyone healthy and strong.

No comments: