Saturday, November 15, 2008

Awaiting judgement day

My contract will be up in the first week of December, till now I have no idea whether MS will offer me an extension to my contract or offer me a perm position, or even not continue my services at all. If in the same situation, but it was about a month ago, I would probably be really worried. Not because I'm going to lose my job, but because I was really beginning to like the working atmosphere. But of course now, with the recent happenings and not so happy experiences in office, I really don't care whether they offer me a job. Of the organisation, I'll probably miss the people there. There are nice people around. Even up till now, I do not know them super well personally. But from what I see, and getting to know them, I can feel that some of them are really true people (as in they do not play those games with you, and will treat you as friends). There are not many of them lah, but then again, I haven't been here long enough.... Lets see.... there's Hanson, Brian, Jason, Mark, Louis, Pato (she's just cute, as in her character). These are the people I will miss when I leave this place. Because so far, they have been very true to themselves and to the people around them. I'm sure there are alot of other nice souls in office, just that I do not know them yet.

I had posted earlier that recently I've been bogged down a little by the politics in office. And some times I really do not know what to do about it. Just 2 days ago, D ask me to go over to his seat and he asked me what I was doing, so I said I was checking invoices. Then he again went on to say that previously he was having lunch with our VP and the VP was saying that she felt I was under performing because she don't see a lot of emails. And of course went on to tell me how good the previous 2 people before me were again. Then he made one statement, he said, "you know that I'm doing receivables right. But I can't be chasing for money the entire month. So usually I will chase them for the first 2 weeks only. So do you know what I do for the next 2 weeks? If I am free for the 2 weeks, I will help with the payables. And if I can help with the payables, then we will not need you already. So I do not know if the VP has decided to continue your contract a not, but whether you continue the job, you have to be more pro-active." So to me, this is a pre-warning, to give me preparation mentally that my contract would not be extended. I have no idea the entire conversation between D and the VP but I can only guess that probably the VP asked him for his opinion on me. So after he said all those things that he felt about me, the VP asked him if I were to go, will the 2 of them be able to continue their job well (well of course he would have said yes). So right now, I am mentally prepared for D-Day to come. I can only hope that they will let me know earlier that my contract would not be extended. Just to let it be official, rather than leaving me in suspense for another 2 weeks and maybe tell me only on the last week.

Haiz, I must say that I've learnt a lot about the corporate world in my short stint with MS. These lessons will be valuable to my future job, wherever that may be. Hmmm... think I'll write an entry on some of the essentials and lessons that I've learnt. Maybe just a reminder to myself not be so naive and to watch my back.

No comments: