Thursday, December 27, 2007

Day 2 in NYC

We went to visit Liberty and Ellis island today. It was great! Finally saw the main representation of US, the pride of the whole nation. But it was a little chilly though. We were like super excited and awed by the statue, but was also struggling with the cold. Took a lot of photos, can't wait to upload them here. Ellis island was interesting, it was the immigration checkpoint of the past. Can you imagine that at one time there was more than 3000 people on the island, waiting to see if they could enter the states. Those that do not pass would be sent back to their country. Its pretty sad because some of them came with their family only to be separated at the island. But the funny part was a little girl, who was watching the video, fall alseep. And she was snoring away, very loudly, haha. And the parents don't seem to feel anything about it. Everyone was watching her, and the parents just let her be.

Anyway after that we went to Walls street to touch the bull and see the World Trade Center site. Mum and Dad bought shoes at Century 21. The place was pretty good, branded shoes were going at discounted prices. Well the main reason for the buy was of course their feet hurt, and so needed better shoes.

After that we headed down to Chinatown and Little Italy. Had dinner at Chinatown, which was super nice (actually it was just okie, but its been some time since we had some real food, other than bread, so we thought it was great). And after dinner we went to walk around the area. Then my aunt suggested that she bring my parents back to the hotel to rest, and I can shop around on my own. I was alright with the idea (although I would really like to have them shopping with me), because I know that they are tired from the 2 days of walking, and they really need to recharge to last the next 10 days. So I decided that for the next few days, there will be less walking, and more rest. I really want everyone to enjoy themselves and not to tire themselves out from this holiday, I want them to relax too. So we will take things slowly from now and just see whatever we can with our time. Even if we miss a few stuff, its ok.

So back to the shopping. Man, I love New York, the shopping was terrific. I went into Banana Republic and there was like discounts everywhere. I fell in love with this red cardigan, but its too expensive, even with discount it cost like USD$140. So I settled for a maroon shirt that cost me $40. Love that shirt. Then I went into Levis, of course thinking that I won't get anything there, but there was sale..... 50% off. Hahaha. So I grabbed a jeans for only USD$20. It is super cheap. I so wanted to get a jeans jacket, but had to control myself, keep reminding myself that I won;t have a chance to wear it back home. Then I wanted to get another jeans because it was so cheap, but of course I kept controlling myself because I know that I have a lot of jeans at home. Then I walked over to Times Square (a very long walk, its like 40 streets away, and the best part is it was raining), I wanted to go to Planet Hollywood to use that $40 voucher that come with the NY pass. So I brave the rain and walked to 44th Street and got a Tee at PH, a key chain and 2 golfballs (I needed to get at least 4 items to use the full $40). So I needed to topup another $4 for the purchase, but I thought it was worth it. Then I went to M&M world to check it out, didn't buy anything there, but it was super nice. It was like M&M everywhere, I wanted to get something there, but didn't know who for, so I thought that if I wanted I'll comeback again later. And after that I went over to Hershey's World, there I bought some chocs for my guys back home. There was an offer of 4 pac of choc for $12, so I took 4 pac, it is quite a lot of choc but I thought I can share them with my mum (she'll need some for her colleagues as well).

After my shopping spree, I went to take the subway back to the hotel. The 1st line I went to was close, and I was thinking oh shit, what am I gonna do. So I continued walking down the street and lucky me, there was another entrance to the subway. Went to the counter to ask the lady if the subway goes in the direction of my hotel but her instruction were so unclear, I tried to clarify but my coins fell on the floor, and she rolled her eyes and gave me that look on her face, what a bitch. So I just bought the tickets and took the subway. On the train I was feeling a little scared, probably because of all the stuff that my uncle told me. So half way through the journey someone like shouted to everyone on the train that he is poor and all that, and I was a little worried already, luckily nothing happened. Still managed to get back to the hotel safely, was a little late though, hopefully I didn't get my parents too worried about me.

Okie that all for today. More interesting stories to come, stay tuned!

No comments: