Saturday, January 26, 2008

First Crash

Well, its gotta happen at some point in my life... only didn't expect it to happen so soon. I got into my first accident. Yup, but luckily it was only a minor one. That was 2 days ago, it happened at the Ikea carpark. I was there in the morning to meet Imran, he wanted to get some stuff for his room, so needed my help to drive the stuff back. So as Imran was waiting for me at the porch, I went over to the car to get ready, I did the usual of playing my Ipod first, then after everything was settled down I started the car and got ready to leave the lot. But there was this SUV that was parked beside me, and the best part was that the dumb driver had to park his huge-backside-SUV head in, so his big bottom was like blocking my view of whoever was coming. So I started inching my way out, trying my best to grab a view of my right side, to make sure that no one was coming over. And as I went out a little further, suddenly this dumb car appeared out of no where, he was going so fast he didn't see my car coming out, and by the time I was him our cars had already made contact. I stopped tmy car immediately but that stupid driver continued to move, scratching his own car and damaging my car plate at the same time.

So I got out of my car and of course the first thing I said was," uncle, why you dive so fast". From anyone's point of view and by theory of the book, I'm in the wrong, because I'm coming out of the lot, so I'm considered the small lane and he is the main lane. And also because it is my car that hit his car. So of course that uncle argued that it was all my fault and why I didn't check before leaving the lot. And the thing that pissed me off the most was that he tried to accuse me of using my phone. I was damn fucking pissed then, so I raised my voiced a bit and made it clear to him that I wasn't using my phone. Think he might have got the idea and stopped his wild imagination.

So after that we both took photos of each other's cars and got each other's contacts. So after discussing with my dad about it we came to 2 solutions, one is to pay his a some of $$ or to ask him to send his car to our mechanic and we pay for the service. So when I told the dumb driver that, he say he don't want to send to my mechanic, and insist on using his mechanic, which is of course I don't agree. He told me that he already got a quotation from his mechanic and it is like $700. That figure is like ridiculous, for $700 you can paint the whole car, does he really think that I'm born last week. So I asked him to send his quotation to me and we try to work something out. But a little later, he called me up and told me," Hi Tay, I discussed with my wife and she advised me to do my claim. After thinking about it, I think this is also logical since I have been paying for the premium insurance and all that, might as well I do my claim." I don't know whether he was trying to get me to up my offer or was he trying to get me to show some form of worry or was he just purely dumb to listen to his wife (well after the whole episode I think its the latter). Well, not only did I not up my offer, all I said was," ok, I'll send in my documents tomorrow". For something as small as this that dumb driver actually wanted to listen to his even dumber wife to do a claim. He must have thought that he had a sure win case on hand, but after thinking through all that happened, really I'm not trying to defend myself or something, but the fault of the whole episode is not entirely mine. This case is in fact a 50-50 one. No.1: He was definately driving too fast, in an enclosed carpark the speed limit should have been at 15-20 km/h, he was going at around 40-50 km/h. No 2: There was a huge SUV blocking my view, and the SUV even had tinted glass. So from my angle I could not have seen anything at all. Already I was inching my way out and if he had complied to the speed limit, at 20 km/h, he would definately have seen my car. Of course back to theory, I would have been wrong. But logically thinking about it, there was no way I could have avoided colliding with him, but on the other hand he had the ability to prevent this collision. Damn that fucker. So my agent told me that if he wanted to do a claim, then I also go do a claim against him, then we let the jury decide who is correct.

So the next day I went to look for Ah Chuan, a mechanic that my agent recommended who is experienced in dealing with these claims and all. After I met him, I told him my story and he told me that it won't work. If I go by my story, I will definately lose, so he told me to twist my story a little so that it works to my advantage. After finalising the story, we went over to idac to do a report and to give my statement. And just as I was about to submit the report, that bastard called me to say he doesn't want to claim anymore. And that he would bring his car to my mechanic to access and I pay him the amount that my mechanic advise, and he will take his car to his own mechanic to fix. I quickly went over to discuss with Ah Chuan, and he helped me tell the guys to hold onto the report and not submit. The funny part was he told them," the other party has just called to say that they are willing to pay us, so don't submit first."

So I arranged to meet that bastard at Ah Chuan's workshop. And that bastard made me wait for so long before he arrived. When he came, Ah Chuan looked at the scratch and told him $250. And he was so lo so... for a guy he was damn naggy, think he's at the market bargining for food. Took out all his quotations for us to see. His $700 quote and another from Borneo Motor $1660. He was so kind to tell me that even he thought that $700 is too high, so he called the workshop to tell them and they gave him a 20% discount, wah so kind of him. So I was there with him and Ah Chuan for an hour, can you imagine I had to endure an hour of his nag. He keep saying this part not align, that part gap too big, and that he is doing QA so he knows this more that others, and like showed us how much he knows his car by showing us every one of his scratch on his car. After looking at the workshop, he decided to do his car at our workshop, because its a registered company and looks safe. What a bastard right. Anyway I can't be bothered with him, just want to settle this quick. And I want to stress something, Although I agree to pay him, that does not mean that I'm saying I'm wrong and its all my fault. Its just that I'm willing to pay some $$ to settle an issue (of course if the amount is not too great), and that IN THEORY I was wrong.

Haiz, hopefully the year of the rat will be better for me, the pig year really hasn't been the best year for me. So many things happened, and it seems that there are more bad stuff than good stuff. Well good luck to me for the coming year, will really need it.

No comments: